How to make guacamole in about 5 minutes
Grab some chips and get ready for a guac attack. It's so good, you'll want to eat it at every meal — or even as your meal! Scoop in onto eggs, smear it on sandwiches, serve it with fish or chicken, top tacos, or — of course — savor it on top of lightly salted tortilla chips. It's way too simple to be this healthy and delicious.
It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare. You'll need 1 bowl, a knife, and a cutting board.
There are lots of different ways to make guac. You can add hot peppers, cumin, Cojita cheese, crumbled bacon, or even pineapple. But this recipe breaks it down to the basics.
How to choose an avocado
The best way to begin your search for a ripe and ready avocado is to look at the color of the skin. You want a dark green hue that gives just a bit when you give it a gentle squeeze. When you're 99.99% sure you have a good one in-hand, take a look underneath the stem. If it looks green, it's a keeper. If it looks brown, it might already be past it's prime. Pick another.
If you can't find a ripe avocado now, you can use put your avocados in a brown paper bag to help speed up the process. Similarly, store them in your fruit bowl with other fruits and veggies. The ethylene gas omitted from the surrounding fruits will help ready an under-ripe avocado.
How to make easy guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice avocado lengthwise, and remove seed. Scoop the flesh into a medium serving bowl. Use a large fork (or use a mortar and pestle) to mash the avocado.
- Add onion, garlic, cilantro, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. Continue to mix until ingredients are well combined. Season with a little more lime juice, salt and pepper to your liking.
- Chill for a half hour if time allows. This will encourage the flavors to blend.
- Store any leftover homemade guacamole in a guac keeper or other airtight container with top sealed to help protect it against browning.
You may also enjoy:
Having fun with kids in the garden plants seeds for the future
Proper life jacket style, fit key to safe boating